Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Cyber- Stalk

Ah… social media. It is the pop culture peephole through which we gaze into other lives in general, and at times, with a singular purpose.
For some, the temptation is too much when it comes to cyber-stalking an ex.
Woman Gazing at Laptop.png 











Now You may ask, just how much peeking into another life constitutes stalking? What if you only take an occasional look – say, once every few weeks?
What if you justify your following an ex’s Instagram feed or Facebook page as a means to make sure your kids are alright?
Does that allow you to “legitimately” snoop?
Social Media? Bring it on!
Personally, I’m a fan of social media. Like most of us, I have the preferred platforms that I use in different ways at different times. And when you want to check out a potential date?
Online dating can be precarious. So a little checking to stay safe doesn’t hurt. I Google, but I tend to leave it at that.
But stalk my ex? No thank you. Unless I was worried about him spending time with a woman who had a crazy ex, or a woman who, herself, raised red flags – why would I?
I can honestly say that I have never expressly sought to view his life as represented online – not now, not three years ago, not eight years ago – not ever.
Anger, Envy, and Social Media
As far as I can tell, my ex-lives a nice life and has for many years. He has a good job, plenty of money, a large circle of friends, and a second marriage that appears to make him happy. There is a nice home, there are outings, there are vacations – all of which I’m aware of, via my children.
Like millions of Americans, my past years have been something of a struggle. Vacations with my kids? Not in the budget. And part of the reason is the financial fallout from divorce and single motherhood. So why would I intentionally look at pictures or updates that would ignite resentment?
I have no idea what goes on inside that seemingly pretty life, and frankly, unless it touches my kids, it’s none of my business.
I will not put myself in a position to feel badly about my life. Why would I walk right into the social media envy trap?
Social Media Envy 
I’m as subject to curiosity – and envy – as the next person. But I’m also not masochistic. I don’t look to inflict pain on myself, I don’t choose to be manipulated by imagery (an exaggeration), and the only time I catch a glimpse of my ex is if one of my kids directs me to a particular spot, where I may, inadvertently, catch a glimpse of their father’s life.
We all know that some people have more than others, live “better” than others, and have an easier time of things – from the outside looking in. If we focus on others’ lives (rather than our own), aren’t we susceptible to constant comparisons that breed tunnel vision, self-absorption, or hits to our self-esteem?
Cyber-stalking the ex certainly doesn’t encourage starting a new life. Besides, do we really think that Facebook represents reality? 
Protecting Our Kids
On occasion, if one of my sons tells me to check something out on his Facebook page, I may collide into a photograph that I would rather not see – of my ex.
It. Still. Hurts.
I feel the old anger bubble up, so I set aside, I move off the page, and I keep my mouth shut.
As for those women (especially) whom I’ve known to track the ex’s every move online – following the assorted relationships, public conversations, weekend trips here and there – I can understand if you’re still involved in legal proceedings, if you’re concerned about your kids, if you find yourself stuck in the post-affair-aching stage or even if, like me, you’re living in perpetually challenging financial circumstances.
But otherwise?
Cyber-Stalking? Not Cool
Unless you’re genuinely worried about your kids – something your ex is doing, people he’s spending time with, places your children are being taken (or left alone), why not stop the cyber-stalking?
As for me, I like my sanity and I don’t care to relive old pain. I'm in a good relationship, and I certainly wouldn’t want my ex to cyber-stalk me. So why on earth would I cyber-stalk him?
I prefer no peephole into his life. I can only imagine that he does not feel the same due fact he likes bring documents to court with other users names on them. It's pretty sad a ex is called a ex for reason. If you can't stop stalking a ex means you will never let go. If you're so worried about what that person does even long after a marrage and when you have moved on to a new one means you don't care for the future marrage. Obsseion will drive you crazy and stalking can just only get you into more trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mommy minutes